Edgbaston Old Church (St. Bartholomew) - Culture, history and faith

There has been a church or chapel on this site since the late 13th century, even though most of the Grade II listed Edgbaston Church we see today dates to the 18th & 19th centuries.


Where is Edgbaston Old Church?

St Bartholomew's, Edgbaston (The Old Church) is on Church Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 3TA. Near Edgbaston Golf Club and the top of Priory Road.

 

In brief

This Grade II listed medieval church was largely rebuilt in the 18th and 19th centuries with a lot of the work carried out by J A Chatwin, who is buried in the churchyard. It is also called St Bartholomew's Church.

Edgbaston Old Church

Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Edgbaston Old Church - history

There has been a church/chapel on this site in Edgbaston since at least 1279 when Henry de Edgbaston built a small chapel adjacent to his manor house and dedicated it to St Bartholomew. 

The church you see today was mostly rebuilt between the 17th and 19th centuries. It is Perpendicular in appearance and is dedicated to St Bartholomew.  The original chapel was only the length of the now nave and the width of the tower.

The church was plundered by the Roundheads during the Civil War and lead from the roof was melted down to make bullets.  After this, the church was left in ruins for more than a decade.  Sir Richard Gough, owner of the manor house and the estate from 1717, oversaw the rebuilding of the church. 

The tower of the church dates to the 16th century in it's lower part, the upper part probably dates to the 17th century.

The north aisle probably dates to the 15th century and the gable stone porch dates from the 17th century.

The south aisle was built by F W Fiddian in 1856 while J A Chatwin built the chancel and chapels in 1885-86 and also worked under the south aisle in 1889.

 

Memorials, windows, artefacts and organs

Much can be revealed from the church about the history of Birmingham and about those who shaped the city. Much of what is contained within the church has been designed and crafted by some of the finest artists and creatives of their times.  

There is a series of wall tablets dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. Included here are the works of King and Son of Bath, and also some by William Hollins of Birmingham.

Lord Calthorpe presented a small organ to the church in 1837 and a Hill organ was built and placed in the gallery in 1857. It was moved to the south end of the church in 1890. The current organ was rebuilt in 1956 by Norman and Beard. However it was damaged by the theft of lead from the roof, and was rebuilt and relocated to it's current position at the north end of the church in 2012.

The Church became a Grade II listed building in 1982.

Edgbaston Old Church

Edgbaston Old Church

Edgbaston Old Church

Edgbaston Old Church

Edgbaston Old ChurchPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Contact details

Edgbaston Old Church

Church Road

Edgbaston

Birmingham

B15 3TA

0121 454 5439

Edgbaston Old Church - Contact

Project dates

13 May 2021 - On-going

Passions

History & heritage, Civic pride, Classic Architecture
Faith

Contact

Your Place Your Space

Jonathan Bostock

0121 410 5520
jonathan.bostock@ yourplaceyourspace.com